The Salida Police Department offers the following programs to the public:
- Learn about bicycle safety, traffic, and current laws while having fun!
- Safety talk starts at noon in the Police Department meeting room at 448 E. 1st St, at the Touber building.
- Talk is followed by a riding course in the parking lot.
- Bring your bike, protective gear, and helmet.
- Complimentary lunch for participants outside. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and drinks.
(Adults encouraged to attend)
EVERY 15 MINUTES
Salida PD participates with other local organizations to provide the “EVERY 15 MINUTES” Program. The Every 15 Minutes Program offers real-life experience without the real-life risks. This emotionally charged program is an event designed to dramatically instill teenagers with the potentially dangerous consequences of drinking alcohol and texting while driving. This powerful program will challenge students to think about drinking, texting while driving, personal safety, and the responsibility of making mature decisions when lives are involved.
More information on the program can be found at www.everyfifteenminutes.org
- Takes place at High School
- Officers provide information and tips on safe driving
HALLOWEEN SAFETY (Provided in the schools)
- Takes place the last week of October
- Officers present Halloween Safety Program on:
- Being seen
- Halloween Safety Bags are provided by local businesses.
SHOP WITH A COP
- Available to Fourth Grade students
- Half from Buena Vista
- Half from Salida
- Children are chosen by recommendation from teachers
- Selection based on need and/or character
- Students are given $100 each to purchase gifts for their family.
POLICE RIDE ALONG PROGRAM
The goal of the Salida Police Department is to acquaint citizens with the day to day operations. In recognizing this, we developed a program which allows any citizen 18 yrs of age or older to apply for a one-time ride along with a officer on duty. The typical length of the ride is usually 4-5 hours and begins at 6 P.M. We allow each citizen applicant 1 ride per year.
The application process is simple to complete and does require a background check. The Chief of Police reviews the application and records check. If approval is given, the person will be notified. A time and place will be given to you and the contact officer to meet. The Salida Police Department reserves the right to refuse an application for the ride along.
We are proud to offer this program with the understanding that certain rules will apply to the citizen rider. We consider your position as an observer, with the officer being in charge of your welfare at all times. No cameras or recorders are allowed unless a request for this is approved by the Chief of Police with the application process.
If you are interested in the program, please contact the SPD Administrative Assistant at 719-530-2600.