Clean out the clutter and help provide jobs to people with developmental disabilities
In cooperation with Blue Star Recyclers of Colorado Springs and Southern Colorado Recycling of Pueblo, the Salida Recreation will be hosting an electronics and latex paint recycling event on Saturday, November 23 from 9am – 1pm at the recycling center behind the Aquatic Center.
With the holidays around the corner, now is a fantastic time to clean out some of those items just sitting around the house, taking up space. And some of those items can even help a regional non-profit provide meaningful jobs to people with disABILITIES such as autism.
All electronics items, including batteries, computers, TVs, printer and toner cartridges, small appliances and CFLs will be taken for safe, secure and ethical recycling by Blue Star Recycling. This 501(c)3 non-profit not only meets the highest environmental standards for electronics recycling, but it does so while proving meaningful jobs to people with developmental disabilities. People in this demographic typically have an 85-90% unemployment rate.
While autism isn’t the only developmental disability represented in the Blue Star team, it provides a good example of the reason why Blue Star chooses to focus on the root word of disability—that is ABILITY. People with autism are generally good at and enjoy systematic tasks, such as disassembling electronics. When people with this particular ability, people who often cannot find employment in other workplaces, are put to work in Blue Star’s encouraging, safe and positive environment not only do they excel but they enjoy coming to work!
Blue Star has been featured in regional and national media as a leader in electronics recycling with a social mission. Visit their website at www.BlueStarRecyclers.com to learn more.
Salida Recreation is also excited to welcome Southern Colorado Recycling to this year’s event. SCR accepts latex paint for recycling and reuse.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE RECYCLING EVENT:
- Latex paint can be recycled for $1/gallon. No other paints or stains will be accepted.
- All hard drives are promptly destroyed, ensuring security of personal data.
- Small electronic items are free.
- A residential carload of electronics is only $10.
- A commercial carload of electronics is only $20.
- Visit http://www.bluestarrecyclers.com/accept-recycle-electronics-tv-flourescent-bulbs.htm for a complete list of accepted electronic items.
- Electronics are no longer accepted in landfills so take advantage of this biannual event.