This year’s regular municipal election is on Tuesday, November 5th. The election will be coordinated with Chaffee County. Nomination petitions are available.
There will be three open seats on City Council (Ward 1, 2, 3), and the Mayor’s seat. Council members serve a four-year term and the Mayor serves a two-year term. The elected City Clerk and City Treasurer positions will also be open, and they serve a four-year term.
Monday, August 26, 2013 (71 days prior to Election Day) is the last day to file nomination petitions with the Clerk’s office.
If you are considering running for an elected office, here are qualifications of a prospective candidate:
- All prospective candidates are required to be: United States Citizens, at least eighteen years old, and qualified electors of the City of Salida.
- Council candidates must be a resident of the City ward or of a territory annexed to that ward for at least 12 months prior to the election.
- All candidates filing petitions must comply with the Fair Campaign Practices Act and file reports as required.
- All candidates must sign candidacy acceptance statements.
- Candidates may choose to circulate their own petitions or have other people circulate petitions for them. (The circulator must personally observe every eligible voter who signs the petition).
- Petition cannot be left on counters or desks unattended.
- A nominating petition must be signed by 25 registered electors within the candidate’s ward. The mayor, city clerk and city treasurer are elected at-large.
Also, petition signers must be:
- Registered voters in the City of Salida.
- Registered voters and reside within the City limits.
- A person may not sign more than one petition for the same seat.
- Petition signers for Council candidates must reside in the same ward as the candidate.
Please review election information at the City website or call 530-2630 with questions.
As election season approaches, please download and read the election sign requirements.