City of Salida Creative District Branding Initiative
Request for Proposal
To all prospective Bidders:
The City of Salida is soliciting proposals to assist the City in preparing a comprehensive branding initiative for the Salida Creative District. The firm or individual should have experience in solid market research (both qualitative and quantitative), strategic planning, corporate identity/branding-including logo development and graphic standards, creative, interactive marketing, promotions and wayfinding. The City of Salida is initiating this process in conjunction with the development of the Salida Creative District Planning process.
Noting the above basic requirements, you are invited to review the attached Request for Proposal document and sample City of Salida Contract for Consulting/Professional Services and submit the requested information and materials by the deadline.
Contact for this project:
Salida Creative District
Request for Proposal
City of Salida Creative District
I. Notice To Bidders:
The City of Salida is soliciting proposals to assist the City in preparing a comprehensive branding initiative for the Salida Creative District and is in need of a qualified consulting firm or individual. The firm or individual should have experience in solid market research (both qualitative and quantitative), strategic planning, corporate identity/branding (including logo development and graphic standards), creative, interactive marketing, promotions and wayfinding. The City of Salida is initiating this process in conjunction with the development of the Salida Creative District Planning process.
City of Salida Creative District Mission:
The state distinction of “Creative District” will allow Salida to fully implement its goal of promoting, supporting and expanding its existing creative industries with the purpose of driving economic growth and enhancing the quality of life.
City of Salida Creative District Vision:
In five years, Salida will see:
- measureable impact on the retention and attraction of creative enterprises and jobs,
- improved retail, dining and gallery sales and
- continued revitalization within the Creative District.
On March 30, 2012 it was announced that the City of Salida’s historic downtown was selected as one of only two inaugural “Certified Creative Districts” in Colorado. This program is designed to assist Certified Districts in continuing to grow, expand and support the arts and creative industries in their communities, in an effort to create economic sustainability.
Salida, located on the banks of the Arkansas River and with 12 nearby peaks over 14,000 feet in elevation, is known for its skiing, hiking, biking, whitewater rafting, kayaking, fly-fishing, camping, horseback riding, tennis and golf. The area was originally settled by the Ute Indians who favored the area’s natural hot springs. The City of Salida was founded by the Denver & Rio Grande railroads in 1880. The usual mix of industries: mining, quarrying, smelting, agriculture and retail trade—along with the usual “related” saloons, gambling and prostitution—existed at various times and magnitudes.
Home to a lively historic downtown, Salida celebrates its wonderful examples of turn-of-the-last-century commercial structures. Colorado’s Governor John Hickenlooper designated Salida as a “Certified Creative District” for its dozens of artist-owned studios and galleries, entrepreneurs, restaurants, unique shops, breweries and distilleries. Being an “unpretentious, bike friendly town” led to Salida’s designation as a “Top 10 2009 Best Small Towns” in Outside Magazine. The New York Times featured Salida as a “haven,” describing it as “the outdoor life, with no attitude.”
For more information about the City of Salida and the surrounding area, the following websites are available for review by bidders to use when preparing their proposal:
– City of Salida – www. CityofSalida.com
– Salida Chamber of Commerce- www.SalidaChamber.org
– Chaffee County Visitors Bureau- www.NowThisIsColorado.com
– Salida Recreation- www.SalidaRec.com
– SteamPlant Event Center- www.SalidaSteamPlant.com
– Salida Artists – www.SalidaArtists.com
III. Statement of Work:
Goals/Objectives to be achieved by a branding campaign include but are not limited to:
- Work with stakeholders to engage them in the branding process.
- Develop a brand that defines the City of Salida and Salida’s Creative District.
- Develop a graphic logo that is suitable for use in all areas of marketing.
IV. Request for Proposals Process:
Each proposal must include the following six categories (A-F) and should be numbered according to each section as outlined in this document. Submit your entire response by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A. Organization Ownership and Management:
- Provide the name, address and telephone number of the legal entity with whom the contract will be written and all trade names/assumed names and the states wherein those trade name/assumed names are used.
- If any portions of the contract will be subcontracted please provide the same information for entities identified as subcontractor(s) in the proposal.
- Provide the type of entity under which the organization’s business shall be operated (e.g., corporation, partnership, limited partnership, trust, sole proprietorship) during the period of anticipated contract performance.
B. Organization’s Structure and Experience:
- Disclose the organization’s total number of employees, both full and part time.
Include employee information on all subcontractors to be employed on the project.
- Provide a short history of the organization and include a history of all
subcontractors to be employed on the project.
- Disclose who within the Bidder’s organization will have primary responsibility and authority regarding the branding project and how much time the individual(s) will spend on the brand project. Include all subcontractors’ decision makers to be employed on the project.
- Describe the organization’s experience in city branding, or directly related field.
Include city branding experience of all subcontractors to be employed on the project.
- Branding Experience
Bidders must provide two examples of work and the process that was used to involve stakeholders in a branding project.
- Proposed Plan for City of Salida Creative District Branding
The proposal must include the following information:
1. Proposed plan on how the organization will obtain input from the City of Salida and community stakeholders.
2. Timelines and work schedules demonstrating how this project will be completed including how many hours of time from each team member and the hourly billing rate for each.
3. Recommend specific necessary elements to deliver the message, i.e. logo design, printed collateral, print and electronic advertising, Web site design, media placement, public relations, events and other deliverers.
Provide an anticipated budget
Provide three references of previous clients.
V. General Conditions
Reserved Rights: The City reserves the right to:
- Modify or cancel the selection process or schedule at any time;
- Waive minor irregularities;
- Reject any and/or all responses to this RFP Incorporate this RFP and the selected team’s response to this RFP as a part of any formal agreement between the City and the respondent;
- Negotiate modifications to the RFP with the selected respondent as part of the negotiation process.
Public Information: All documents, conversations, correspondence, etc. between the City and respondents are public information subject to the laws and regulations that govern the City of Salida, unless specifically identified otherwise.
Expenses: All expenses related to any development team’s response to this RFP, or other expenses incurred while the selection process is underway, are the sole obligation and responsibility of the bidder.
April 30, 2013 – Advertise RFP
May 18 @ 5:00 p.m. – Bidders’ responses due
May 22 – Notification of finalists
Week of May 27 – Oral presentations by Bidders
Week of June 3 – Bidder selection & notification
June 10, 2013 – Contract begins
July 8, 2013 – Project complete
For a PDF version of this document: Salida_Branding_RFP