Will I receive a bill if I call 911 for a hazardous chemical spill or investigation?

The simple answer is no. Colorado statute allows local emergency response agencies to invoice a business or individual for the response to a hazardous materials incident that occurs outside of a residence or through illegal activity to recoup any expenses incurred. The policy of the City of Salida Fire Department is to attempt to recoup any expenses incurred for an incident that occurs on a roadway, involves a waterway or is upstream of the gas supply to a residence. Hazardous materials response to your residence is one of many services provided to you and your family as part of the fire department mission.