This year’s regular municipal election is on Tuesday, November 7th. The election will be a mail ballot election coordinated with Chaffee County.
There will be four open seats on City Council; one Council Member seat from each of the three wards, and the Mayor’s seat at large. Council Members serve a four-year term and the Mayor serves a two-year term. In addition, the City Clerk and City Treasurer seats will be up for election as well. Both the Clerk and the Treasurer serve a four-year term.
Nomination petitions are currently available at City Hall and may be circulated beginning on Tuesday, August 8, 2017 (91 days before Election Day).
Monday, August 28, 2017 (71 days prior to Election Day) is the last day to file nomination petitions with the Clerk’s office at 448 E. 1st Street, Suite 112, Salida, Colorado 81201. The nomination petitions must be complete and filed with the Clerk’s office by 4:00 p.m.
Friday, September 1, 2017 (67 days prior to the election) is the last day to amend filed nomination petitions.
If you are considering running for an elected office, here are qualifications of a prospective candidate:
- All prospective candidates are required to be: United States Citizens, at least eighteen years old, and qualified electors of the City of Salida.
- Council candidates must be a resident of the City ward or of a territory annexed to that ward for at least 12 months prior to the election. Candidates for Mayor must be a resident of the City of Salida for at least 12 months prior to the election.
- All candidates filing petitions must comply with the Fair Campaign Practices Act and file reports as required.
- All candidates must sign candidacy acceptance statements.
- Candidates may choose to circulate their own petitions or have other people circulate petitions for them. (The circulator must personally observe every eligible voter who signs the petition).
- Petitions cannot be left on counters or desks unattended.
- A nominating petition for a Council seat must be signed by 25 eligible electors within the candidate’s ward. A nomination petition for Mayor must be signed by 25 eligible electors within the City of Salida. It is recommended to collect more than 25 signatures as some may not be valid.
Also, petition signers must be:
- Eligible electors within the City of Salida.
- A person may not sign more than one petition for the same seat.
- Petition signers for Council candidates must reside in the same ward as the candidate.
For more information, please call the City Clerk’s Office, at 719-530-2630.